5 Rasi Nato (Big Village)
[Starting from 16:25, continues/ends in Part 2]
A group of women recall their bygone days:
In our big village we girls and boys were together in pairs. But the pairs of our friendships are no more. Some of us have shut ourselves up indoors. Some of us have chained ourselves and have multiplied like the roots of a banana plant.
Boys and girls in our big village
We used to be in pairs,
Pairs of our friendship is broken.
Some of us have closed ourselves indoor,
Some of us have chained ourselves,
Some of us have multiplied like root of banana plants.
Continue and view Part 2 here >>
- RSV School & Museum of Santal Culture >>
- Print-friendly version (PDF 200 KB) for the above translations and Part 1 >>
Courtesy: Dr. Boro Baski © Ghosaldanga Bishnubati Adibasi Trust –
All contents are being published with an understanding that the respective copyright owners have agreed to the license terms explained in the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. This means that no commercial use or modification of such content is permissible without written consent by their respective copyright holders.
- Audio | Santali Traditional and Fusion Songs: Ghosaldanga Bushnubati Adibasi Trust – West Bengal
- Banam (Santal instrument) | Video clips (banam)
- Cadence and Counterpoint, Documenting Santal Musical Traditions (exhibition catalogue)
- Museum collections – India
- Museum of Santal Culture Bishnubati
- Music album and video by Santal village children and youths (DVD, CD): “Children see world around them differently” – West Bengal & Odisha
- Music and dance
- Musical Traditions”: National Museum – New Delhi
- Santal creation myth
- Santal flute music: Audio resource by Adivaani.org – West Bengal & Jharkhand
- Santali language
- Santal music
- The Santals by Boro Baski
- “Santals Celebrate the Seasons”: Creativity fostered by Ashadullapur Gramin Silpa & Sastha Bidhan Kendra – West Bengal
- Video | “Reviving the Huka Banam”: A Workshop in support of Santal instrumental music (Daricha Foundation) – West Bengal